Rock Chick Redemption (Rock Chick, #3)

Rock Chick Redemption (Rock Chick, #3) - Kristen Ashley,  Kelly Brown “Last thing I want to do, last thing I ever wanted to do, was make you feel trapped,” he murmured into my hair. “So, I’m lettin’ you go.” Another great Kristen Ashley book. I wasn't a fan of the last Rock Chick book, but I have to say that this was a huge improvement. The funny Indy, Ally and Jet are back! So are the crazy antics at Fortnum’s. Then he slammed War into the 8-track player (yes, I said 8-track) and hurtled down Broadway with “Low Rider” blaring from the speakers of his bronze El Camino. Uncle Tex, I realized quickly, was kind of living in the 70’s and didn’t feel like leaving it. Tex stole the show in this book. I mean, he was hilarious, sweet and his normal self. I think that's what I love about these books, all the characters are themselves and their friends stand by them no matter what. He went on anyway. “Indy was livin’ with Lee after ‘bout a day. Jet was with Eddie from my count, after less than a week. The way Hank’s lookin’ at you, I’m guessin’ less than forty eight hours.” Good God. This story is really about Roxie and Hank. We finally get to see them in action and boy are they funny. Hanks "whisky" eyes and Roxie is pure "sunshine." This are complicated as only the Rock Chicks can make them. The road is full of laughs and believe me some tears. I also told him I liked Springsteen but had never seen him in concert. Then, I’m afraid I got kind of lost in the discussion and admitted to him I loved Springsteen and thought he was a storyteller poet of biblical proportions (but I didn’t tell him I thought Springsteen had a beautiful lower lip designed by the gods because I thought that might be sharing too much). I also waxed lyrical about Mellencamp, maybe a shade too long but I’d been born in a small town and Mellencamp sang about small towns. I’d also watched a lot of my minutes turn to memories, life sweeping away the dreams that I had planned and Mellencamp sang about that too. A girl from Indiana understood those things like no one else. Springsteen might be able to tear through my heart but Mellencamp shot straight through my soul.Let's talk about the music. I mean, Roxie loved some classic rock and reading this book took me on a time warp. My parents loved music, they played it always and they played it loud. I great up listening to The Boss and Mellencamp. Many of their songs spark vivid memories of my childhood. Roxie associates music with her emotions. She takes those moments of joy or sorrow and plugs in her favorite songs. If you truly think about Mellencamp and Springsteen's music, it's about regular people, living and trying to make it in this world. Take a listen:She's the one - Bruce Springsteen“You are. These boys need women who can take the heat without meltin’ like butter, and sometimes that heat is fiery. They need women who can give back their shit so they don’t walk all over ‘em and get bored out of their fucking skulls. And they need women who can go soft when the situation demands because they get hard knocks on a regular basis, sometimes literally, and comin’ home to somethin’ soft is the only way to cope.”