First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones 3.5 stars... This series has so serious potential and I look forward to finding out what Charley and Reyes have in store for us in the future. Like many first books in a series it does take the reader some time to truly connect with a character and I found that I like Charley right away. She's funny, smart, strong and determined. Charley did grew up in a family that was dysfunctional but ultimately that taught her to follow her path and lead her to helping people pass to the other side. I have never read a book where the grim reaper was the main character and she is not how you picture the grim reaper to look or act like. Charley not only helps the dead find peace so they can pass she also helps those left behind deal with such loss. Reyes has a secret and a past that is connected to Charley and may be one of the hottest characters that I have read in awhile. I found myself wanting him to just brush up against Charley or be sitting in her apartment when she got home. When I first started this book the humor seemed forced and riddled each page but as the story progressed I found that the humor because part of Charley's defense mechanism and the true mystery emerged and that's when the book because a page turner for me. I cannot wait to see what happens to Charley and Reyes...