Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover 4 stars...I‟ve learned something about my heart. It can break. It can be ripped apart. It can harden and freeze. It can stop. Completely. It can shatter into a million pieces. It can explode. It can die. The only thing that made it start beating again? The moment you opened your eyes. Point of Retreat is the sequel to the Slammed by Colleen Hoover. A beautiful addition to a laugh out laud funny, heartbreakingly honest and sugary sweet series.I stand at the edge of the bed and take in the view. Sometimes, when I watch her, it seems surreal that she‟s mine. That she really loves me back.In Point of Retreat Layken and Will are still neighbors, it's several months in the future and Julia has lost her battle with Cancer. Lake and Will are parents to their younger brothers and balancing parenthood with school and running a household. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, just to make sure you're paying attention to all the wonderful things you have. I'm not sure if Point of Retreat is a classified as young adult, that's beyond the point because it doesn't read like one. These are adult issues and feelings that Lake and Will are dealing with. Like many parents they had to take these hard times with humor, without it you'd just go crazy. Will and Lake take their rolls are guardians seriously but they also know they have no idea what they're doing. Their parenting is based in love and respect for Kel and Caulder.I wonder if this is how parenting is with real parents. A bunch of pretending to be responsible grown-ups. I enjoyed seeing Layken through Will's eyes. It was a brilliant move to write Point of Retreat from Will's point of view because it added another layer to the storyline that was missing in Slammed. I'm eagerly anticipating This Girl to be released to read Lake's point of view again.My only complaint about Point of Retreat would be how Lake and Will situations seem so similar and perfectly placed. To have found someone who shares the same circumstance and to have moved in across the street it just seemed like the puzzel pieces fit too perfectly.ARC courtesy of Simon & Schuster via NetGalley.