Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Angelfall  - Susan Ee I read Angelfall in less than 24 hour, I could not put this book down. It's great when you can put the world on hold and enjoy a book at least for a little while...We meet Penryn surviving in the Silicon Valley in California, six weeks after angels have descended on earth and reeked havoc. The survival of her 7 year old sister, Paige and her schizophrenic mother rest on Penryn's 17 year old shoulders. Because gangs have taken over the streets, Penryn and her family decided to move away from the city into the hills. Things are not that easy, Paige is taken by the angels and Penryn is left with Raffe a fallen angel with no wings. Penryn is smart, caring, strong, determined and brave. She looks Raffe, an angel with no wings right in the eye and demands that take her to the angels home base. Raffe is not quite sure what to think of Penryn, she's a daughter of man and off limits to angels but he finds this need to protect her. Susan Ee's writing is outstanding. I'll admit that sometimes authors over describe characters actions but with Ee, you feel like you're running right along side Penryn and Raffe. Even her description of how Raffe's cut wing fold into themselves. I think what happily surprised me was the humor. I mean, Penryn and Raffe are at the cusp of the end of days and they still find the humor in everyday things. “My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?” “A sense of humor is one more thing I don't think angels should have. The fact that his sense of humor is corny makes it even more wrong.” Ee makes me wish I was a writer, that I could blend and move my words with her grace and quickness. Alas, I'm but a reader...“I'm Penryn. I'm named after an exit off Interstate 80." "Nice." They nod as if to say they understand what it's like to have parents like that.”