The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay This book left me speechless. I feel like i've just been taken on a crazy beautiful emotional roller coaster. My name is Nastya I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk. This is the story of a girl who's life changes in an instant. Then she spends the next three years trying to understand why she survived and what her life means now. So much was taken away from her, her promising career and love of music. Now she's moved away from her parents home to live with her aunt and finish her senior year of high school. That when she comes face to face with Josh Bennet. Just as messed up as she is.And then he does something that shocks even me. Josh Bennett, king of the brooding stoics, laughs. Josh Bennett laughs and its one of the most natural, uninhibited, beautiful sounds I’ve ever heard. I know Kara Matthews is watching us and people will talk tomorrow. But right now I can’t even care. Josh Bennett laughs, and for one minute, everything is right in the world.It took me about a quarter of the way into The Sea of Tranquility to really get to understand what this book is really about. That first quarters focuses on Nastya and Josh living their lives and seeing how they become intertwined together. I don't want to spoil anything with regards to the little by little morals you get as you travel through this beautiful story. Each little hint or revelations brings you closer and closer to truly understanding and becoming so attached to Nastya and Josh. You cannot help but fall for them both as you get near the half way mark. That's where I couldn't put this book down. I just had to know what happens to them.When we get back to his house just after nine o’clock, I help him carry the bags into the garage and watch him put everything away. He is all grace and fluid in this place; there isn’t one wasted movement. Everything he does has purpose. I don’t feel uncomfortable about watching. He watches me, too. We have an unspoken agreement. I let him watch me. He lets me watch him. We never call each other on it. It’s a gift we give one another. No strings, no expectations, no reading between the lines. We’re like mysteries to one another. Maybe if I can solve him and he can solve me, we can explain each other. Maybe that’s what I need. Someone to explain me. This may be classified YA but it's a more edgy realistic young adult book. There is graphic language and talk of sex but in a way this only adds to the way this dynamic cast of characters is described. I found that once I had a slot for a character "dumb jock" that's where Miss Millay would change them up, revealing a different side to them. This constantly had me turning pages wondering who would surprise me next. The Sea of Tranquility was refreshing to read. It ripped my heart out stopped on it a few times and then said sure, you can have this back. Only to leave me with a huge grin on my face and tears in my eyes at the end. So enjoy this gem, fall head first into this amazing story but makes sure to guard your heart.Some of my favorite quotes:There’s a reverence in the way he kisses me that frightens me, because it’s the most wonderful thing I’ve ever felt. Panty-Combusting Ken comes complete with Piqued Princess Barbie: unachievable measurements, designer purse and annoyed scowl included!If I’m going to get unwanted attention, better it be for my ass than for my psychosis and my effed-up hand.