The Raven boys keep getting better and better...

The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater
All of us have secrets in our lives. We’re keepers or kept from, players or played. Secrets and cockroaches — that’s what will be left at the end of it all.

This story is something almost out of a fantasy film. As the reader you're taken along this glorious ride, filled with magic, hope, love and danger. At times it was hard to separate reality from dreams but that was just part of the fun.

This is the second book in the Raven Circle series by Maggie Stiefvater. This is not her first series, if you've read her Mercy Falls Series, then you'll be happy to know that never before have I read an author that's improved so drastically. It's almost like someone else wrote each series. That kind of came out wrong, I'm just so happy with Dream Thieves. This is such a hard book to review, mainly because with all the twists and turns and secrets revealed I just don't want to spoil anything. Here is my attempt:

Dream Thieves starts off shortly after Raven Boys ends. Blue, Gansey, Ronan and Adam are all still searching for the Welsh King and Cabeswater. They're each determined for their own reason but Ronan is having this dreams, dreams that are almost real and he starts to find out what his gift is. In fact systematically each characters gifts or talents are revealed.

I love Blue. She's just an amazing girl. The fact she can see the beautiful qualities in each Raven Boy almost makes me love her more.

In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them. Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness.

The writing is beautiful. Descriptive in such a unique way that made my heart ache. I was captivated by the unorthodised waysMs. Stiefvater described some situations. Here are a few of my favorite examples:

All of the Ganseys sort of looked like one another, like a dog that begins to look like its owner, or vice versa.

His voice was full of the honeybaked accent of old Virginia money.

This story can only be described at sweeping. From the Raven Boys (I include Blue in that group) to the new characters added, in the end the direction of the story has almost shifted. We're left with a small cliffhanger but nothing that will keep you up at night. Because the subject matter was so heavy, we get small breaks with Maura, Calla and Persephone being themselves which is just funny. Without them the books would be too heavy on fantasy for me. So I enjoy Maura's storyline greatly. Plus i'm so thrilled with it's new direction and I cannot wait to see how that works out.

So why 4.5 stars instead of 5? Well I loved this book, it took me a week to read and that's unlike me. It's almost like I had to savor these characters and make this morsel last. I honestly was a little lost for the first quarter of the book. I was waiting for Ms. Stiefvater to hint at what she was getting at but she sure did make me work for it. I just think that other readers may have a harder time and end up giving up. But that's just my humble opinion.

In conclusion, this is an amazing addition to the Raven Circle Series, so far i'm a huge fan of Ms. Stiefvater writing. For me this book felt more like a transition book in the series, we as readers are taken on this fantastic journey only to find ourselves headed in a different direction. If you haven't picked up The Raven Boysit's a must read for all fans of YA fantasy.

ARC courtesy of Scholastic Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All quotes were taken from the pre-released copy and should be viewed so.