Bound by Night, book 1

Bound By Night - Larissa Ione

I kept waiting for that moment in Bound by Night that would draw me into these characters, hook me into the story and make it impossible to put this book down. That all didn't happen but what did happen was Ms. Ione created a unique vampire world, one that I can't wait to read more about.

The World

I'm not going to dive into what this story is about, you can read the synopsis... what I do want to touch on is the difference in this Vampire book as it compares to others. What I enjoyed was howMs. Ione created a world where vampires are second class citizens, there captured by humans and make to serve them. It's demeaning to vampires to serve humans and slavery has made many vampire clans very upset. Vampires must feed from the opposite sex when the moon is full and this is also the time when some females become pregnant. Although, birthrates among Vampires is very low. Vampire's lore is filled with magic and passed down stories of Native American Ancestors and that was very fun to read and I hope to learn more about that in the upcoming books.

Characters

Nicole is a fun character to read, on the outside she's not complicated but once you read more about her life and what's happened to her you cannot help but really like her. I enjoyed reading about her research on vampires and even her candor on not really understanding them as much as she thought. The flip side of that is Riker, a vampire that hates humans, he also has a vendetta against any Martin and Nicole is someone he'd love to kill. His character is also layered and you learn more about him and his long life as a vampire.

Somethings that made me go Hmm...

Something just didn't add up... like how Nicole and Riker were able to help get a friend out of the Martin's holding easily. Some parts of the story were just not believable. Yes, I know i'm talking about a vampire book. Other parts of their relationship had me rolling my eyes. I hate when characters do not communicate and most of Nicole and Rikers problems stemmed from them not talking it out. Plus, I thought how she (view spoiler)

In conclusion, I found myself up past midnight wanting to finish Bound by Night. The ending is non stop fun and I cannot wait to see what happens with these characters we're just getting introduced to.

ARC courtesy of Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.